Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Targeting Dentistry


Yesterday's morning and as usual I went to work , I entered the governmental clinic's building , I went to my department , joined my colleagues in a usual conversation , because working starts at 9 am , and if we come earlier we sat together and talk about different issues.
It was 8:40 am and every thing was normal and like any other day , but then there was a loud explosion and the whole building was shacking like it's an earth quake , the sound of glass breaking mixed with the cars' alarm sirens with dust and smoke that covered the whole place followed by the sounds of objects and shells falling from the sky , hitting the department's ceiling and the parked cars , after that there was a terrible silence mixed with the continuing cars' alarm.
the silence was really horrifying it felt like years of silence although it was just few seconds, the faces of my colleagues are pale with a look seems to be shared by all of them , that look on their faces greatly explained what's in their minds , then one of them jumped with a smile on his face and said:"we're alive , thank god we're alive , I think it was so neeeeeear".
He was right , it was an explosive pack at the gate of the clinic , I don't know if we were the target , but it's at the gate , who else? it's at the entrance door , how could they plant it and the national guards are 50 meters away? what were they doing when they planted the pack?
We rushed to see what happened (the clinic used to be a big house before it was a clinic so it has the design of a house ; each room is a department) my department is somehow far from the street. We went to the clinic's door to see what was that , all the dentists and nurses rushed from their departments heading to the entrance door.

On my way to that door I was running and the sound of glass breaking under my foot remembering me of how thankful should I be for being alive , the smoke and shells scattered on the floor makes me so worried about who was injured or dead.

We reached the door and everyone was standing there watching the site where the explosive pack has exploded , I immediately asked :"anyone injured?" , one of the guards said :"thank god no one was killed , but the guard's chief was slightly injured in his head" I asked him where he is now , because I wanted to check on him.
he was in the guards room , with a hit on his head , it was nothing serious.




No one died or injured ; that's a blessing , it was because of the cars that were in front of the pack , those cars absorbed the impact and shells , those cars saved many lives who could have been lost in that day.
when we checked the shells of the bomb that was used , it was clear that it's a small explosive pack , it was meant to scare us or terrorize us , it wasn't to kill a lot. but it was an explosive pack at the entrance door of the clinic , if they want to kill they can easily do that the next time , no one is safe , no one can assure his safety.
after we checked the site , the glass and shells were cleaned , everything returned to normal like nothing happened , I took some pictures and we sat together again talking about why it was planted there?and was it to scare us? but we didn't treat anyone that day , we just left earlier.

Today was a normal working day we treated patients normally , everything was like any other day , except for the glass which was broken , and some air conditioners which were damaged from the shells.
here are some photos that I have taken after the explosion for one of the brave cars! the guards room and the explosion site.

25 comments:

Indigo said...

I don't know what to say.

Iraqis do not deserve this.

Anonymous said...

Every time I read an Iraqi blog, I feel so wretched and powerless to do anything.

LJM said...

What a relief to know you are ok and that nobody was killed or seriously injured.

mrs k said...

It is all so senseless. Nobody can expect to gain anything this way. Killing is not the answer and never will be.

I just am so glad you and your colleagues are:

a) all OK;

b) the courage to continue to help people in pain;

people like you and your colleagues give heart to so many others.

Mark said...

My hands would be shaking so much, I would probably be addicted to Valium, or worse, by now. I hope you don't have any more incidents like that.

fjb said...

Brave cars!!! Mohammed, I see that you've apparently managed to hang on to a sense of humor, even with all you've endured. Stay safe.

Anonymous said...

Mohammed,

I remember when Nabil posted about a female hair cutter who was dragged out of her shop (in Adhamiyah, I believe) and killed on the street. I could not understand such an act at all, until I read later that AQ was actually killing or threatening many hair cutters and barbers for "religious" reasons, having to do with their beliefs about how "true" muslim men and women should wear their hair. Even though I still thought it was barbaric, at least I realized that there was a rationale, no matter how sick and twisted, to it.

Why would a bunch of dentists be targeted, Mohammed? Does AQ think that nice teeth are a sin, like nice hair? I don't understand it at all.

Bridget

Mohammed said...

Thank you all for your nice words.

Bridget,
loool , that was funny about the nice tooth , no it's just to stop the life in Iraq , that's it , why would they assasinate doctors ? what have they done? and many other careers , it's just to stop the relatively normal life.

Indigo said...

A growing number of Iraqi provinces are refusing entry to internal refugees, the UN refugee agency has warned.

The head of the UNHCR Iraq Support Unit told the BBC up to 11 governors were restricting access because they lacked resources to look after the refugees.

Andrew Harper warned that, with no imminent end to the displacement, Iraq was becoming a "pressure cooker".
BBC 10 Oct 2007

field of dreams said...

Mohammed, glad you, and all who work with you, are OK. The tactics of AQI and the militas make no sense. Again, glad you're safe.

Thanks for reporting from the inside.

Bridget, you said: "Does AQ think that nice teeth are a sin, like nice hair? I don't understand it at all."

Perhaps the bombing was the work of the Mahdi Army/al Sadr's thugs. Have you seen that guy's teeth? Obviously he has some major aversion to dentists.

Lynnette In Minnesota said...

it's just to stop the relatively normal life.

Exactly.

I'm glad to hear no one was hurt, Mohammed.

Andrew Tuccinardi said...

or maybe they think you might see to much from the possible patience coming, to remember a quote from Stalin
"dead men don't talk"
i know the bomb wasn't meant to bring the whole house down, but maybe its a warning, or maybe its just to cause a mess so you distrust Americans and militias, it could go any direction

Hardy Haberman said...

Grateful you are safe.

Anonymous said...

"Perhaps the bombing was the work of the Mahdi Army/al Sadr's thugs. Have you seen that guy's teeth? Obviously he has some major aversion to dentists."

You have a point, FoD. :)

Bridget

Anonymous said...

These people are sick and demented. Yesterday,they hid a bomb with chidrens toys and blew up kids in a playground. In the history of the world,I can't recall any group besides Al Queda that targeted children. Pond scum has more integrity.

Anonymous said...

Akhi Mohammed shahed hadh page:

http://www.montdyatna.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4427

LJM said...

Is it still as hot there in Baghdad? Has it cooled off at night to make it easier to sleep? I'd like to think, aside from this violent attack, that perhaps some of the situation has improved so that you and your wife can get out and about and life might be somewhat less miserable than during the hottest months of the summer.

Bruno said...

Stay safe and stay alert, Mohammed.

Best of luck to you.

Don Cox said...

"it's just to stop the relatively normal life."_____Exactly the same strategy as the Islamists in Algeria followed during their war: kill doctors, teachers, dentists - all the people who hold the country together. The aim is to reduce Iraq to the same state as Somalia.

adam said...

I'm a stupid liberal American. I stumbled on your blog during a mindless skim of google news. What a shame, say we "forward" thinking leftists, that 3828 of our soldiers have had to die for no reason. What is said of the 1M dead Iraqis NOTHING. Actually I'm fairly highly educated, over-educated you might say. But why don't I know any details about the war that is slowly draining my country's economy, and quickly destroying my country's image, and which immediately (after the Afghanistan invasion) destroyed any shred of pride I may have had to be an American? The reason is not because the truth is inaccessible, or veiled in propaganda, it's right at my fingertips! Why, then, do I peruse the tech blogs for hours on end and toil at my computer updating my music collection? Why did I have to learn that Iraq has suffered over a million casualties on your blog?

The Answer is simple. I am ignorant. I am apathetic. I am numbed by shame.

I care, I really do, and my eyes well up reading your blog, and I want to join any cause that will have me to protect you and your family, and I want to give every last dollar I have to strengthen your economy, your army, and your government. But that is only at this moment. I will do nothing. And I will vote Democrat to prove that I take no responsibility for the terrible wrongdoings of my government (who arguably cheated for office, an action I made no effort against), even though the withdrawal of US forces spells doom for Iraq.

And the worst part of it: there are many Americans just like me. Everyone I know. Intelligent, liberal, compassionate people with common sense who simply do not care. Or who are afraid to care. Or who are too lazy to care. Or don't know how to care.

Mohammed, you have a soul. A real soul. I envy you.

A-Dawg said...

Sounds scary. I hope the situation in Iraq improves...

cile said...

hey mohammed, you're ok?

Harry Barnes said...

Mohammed, we have not heard anything from you on this thread for 8 days, that is why Cile and others get worried.

Indigo said...

I hope you and your wife are OK, Mohammed.

mineral makeup said...

companies marketing mineral makeups and also get the best bargains in mineral makeup you can imagine,
find aout how to consolidate your students loans or just how to lower your actual rates.,
looking for breast enlargements? in Rochester,
homeopathy for eczema learn about it.,
Allergies, information about lipitor,
save big with great bargains in mineral makeup,

change edition interviewing motivational people preparing second
,

interviewing motivational people preparing second time
,

interviewing people motivational preparing for a second time
,

black mold exposure
,

black mold exposure symptoms
,

black mold symptoms of exposure
,

free job interview questions
,

free job interview answers
,

interview answers to get a job
,

lookfor hair styles for fine thin hair
,

search hair styles for fine thin hair
,

hair styles for fine thin hair
,

beach resort in the philippines
,

great beach resort in the philippines
,

luxury beach resort in the philippines
,
iron garden gates, here,
iron garden gates,
wrought iron garden gates
, here
,
wrought iron garden gates
,
You: The Owner's Manual: An Insider's Guide to the Body That Will Make You Healthier and Younger
,
eat eating mindless more than think we we why
,


texturizer,
texturizers here,
black hair texturizer,
find aout how care curly hair,
find about how to care curly hair,
care curly hair,
lipitor rash,
lipitor reactions,
new house ventura california,
the house new houston tx,
new house washington dc,
new house pa philadelphia,
san antonio tx house new,
house new pa philadelphia,
new house washington dc,
new house ventura california,
the house new houston tx,
house new san antonio tx,
the house new houston tx, that you are looking for,
new house ventura california, you need to buy,
new house washington dc,
house new pa philadelphia,
new house san antonio tx,

hair surgery transplant
,

air filter allergy
,

refurbished dell laptop computers
,

hair surgery transplant
,

air filter allergy
,

refurbished dell laptop computers
,

hair surgery transplant
,

air filter allergy
,

refurbished dell laptop computers
,

chocolate esophagus heartburn study
,

chocolate esophagus heartburn study
be informed,

digestion healing healthy heartburn natural preventing way
,

digestion healing healthy heartburn natural preventing way
,
sew skirts, 16simple styles you can make!,
sew what skirts 16 simple styles you,
rebates and discounts on sunsetter awnings,
sunsetter awnings discounts and rebates,
discount on sunsetter awnings


truck and bus tires 12r 22.5, get the best price,
tires truck and bus 12r 22.5 best price,
tires truck bus tires12r 22.5 best price,
plush car seat strap covers,
car seat strap covers,plush,
car seat strap, plush covers,
oscoda voip phone systems, the best!,
oscoda voip the phone system,
oscoda voip phone systems,
exterior iron gates,
oriental wrought iron gates,
powder coated iron garden fencing,